Athens Christian Church is a congregation of believers that meets to worship, to study, and to minister to others. We are small enough to know each person that attends, and yet large enough to offer opportunities to all ages. Staff members include our preaching minister, youth minister, and secretary. The congregation meets in a classically beautiful worship center located in the small community of Athens, just one mile from I-75. In recent years, a multi-purpose building was constructed to enhance fellowship.
Our church exists for four important reasons:
- Exaltation to worship and praise Christ
- Edification to encourage and strengthen one another through study
- Evangelism to share the good news of God’s love with others
- Extension to be involved with the world through action and support
Who We Are
We are an independent, non-denominational church. We are self governed and determine our own affairs. We belong to the brotherhood of believers (the Restoration Movement) known for their commitment to the Bible. We have no creeds but look to the Bible as our authority.
We support worldwide missions that are independently supported by churches. Missionaries are responsible to the congregations supporting them. We also support Christian educational and benevolent ministries such as Kentucky Christian University, Blue Grass Christian Camp, and Sayre Christian Village.
What We Believe:
- In one God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God is creator and sustainer of all things.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of humankind.
- The Holy Spirit dwells within believers, and empowers them for ministry.
- The Bible is God’s inspired Word, the final authority for matters of faith and practice.
- Humanity is created in the image of God, but through sin is separated from God and in need of a Savior.
- Salvation is by grace through the blood of Christ.
- The New Testament pattern for accepting this grace is to believe in Jesus as God’s Son, to repent of personal sin, to confess Christ publicly, to be immersed in baptism, and to live each day for His glory.
- Since each Christian is empowered by the Holy Spirit for ministry, therefore, every Christian is a minister.
- The church is the Bride of Christ and consists of all faithful believers.
- The congregation is locally led by elders and deacons, with no outside agency determining our doctrines or actions.
- Christ will return, and those who have been faithful will inherit eternal life, while those that have not will be eternally separated from God.
- The church is to carry the life changing message of Jesus Christ to those that that don’t know, both locally and throughout the world.
Land was purchased in 1848 with the purpose of building a non-denominational church in the rural farming community of Athens. The congregation was formed in 1850, consisting of 40 charter members, with the building being completed in 1852. In the early 1950’s the church experienced tremendous growth, which created a need for additional classrooms. So in 1953 an education wing was added . The sanctuary was totally renovated in 1971. In 1983, additional land was purchased adjacent to the church property to be used for additional parking and a multi-purpose building that was completed in 1998. Updates were added to the sanctuary in 2003.
Some 150 years and 5+ generations later, the Athens Christian Church still gathers weekly to worship the Lord we serve.